Sunday, April 26, 2009

Why oh why?

Why oh why do children make it their calling in life to torture their parents? I guess as I tell Melody, "it's my God given right to make your life miserable." Tonight (this morning?) she is returning the favor. As I lay here, writing this post on my laptop, I can hear her down the hall, singing. I have repeatedly told her to go to bed and have been quite unsuccessful. Is this God's way of getting back at me for bragging that she started sleeping through the night at 3 weeks old? Bragging that when she started sleeping through the night it was for 12 hours at a time? She still sleeps for about 11 hours so I'm sure she isn't going to be happy when I wake her up early to get her to my sister's early so that I can get a few hours of work in before our joint appointment at the allergist.... just heard her sneeze again... maybe that's what is keeping her awake. Glad we see the allergist in a few hours. We both need it.

Some of the things she says still suprise me, thrill me, make me laugh, and make me cry. She is definately mine, even if DNA says otherwise. She had a tough morning of things just not going right. She started to take her frustrations out on me and upon seeing me starting to get upset, she gently climbed into my lap and whispered, "mom, I love you". Talk about softening my heart. She knows how to push all of my buttons, good and bad. She cracks me up right now with her 2 loose teeth. She isn't quite sure what to make of them. I keep telling her to wiggle them. At her last dentist appointment (3 cavities and 1 broken tooth), you could see 6 teeth are closing to falling out. I'm excited for the toothless grin. It is so cute on children.

Off the subject, my favorite waitress disappeared so to speak. Everytime I have gone to this particular restaurant for a while, I've looked for her and tried to be seated in her area. Well, I was looking at some of the obituaries tonight and happened to catch her name. I will miss sitting in her area and laughing with her wit and charm. She was always wonderful to Melody and always told me how beautiful she thought she was.... even when Melody was misbehaving, it never seemed to bother her. She would just laugh and clean up the mess or entertain Melody's request. I don't recall ever seeing anyone she didn't get along with or seeing her get upset with anyone. I hope my reciprocations to her were as appreciated as she always made me and my family feel. I always tried to leave her a little something extra and requested her area whenever I could and made comments to management at the restaurant whenever I could. I hope all of us can treat each other with as much unconditional love as she showed me and my family.

Now I must go because I hear Melody actually running around and it is 1am. Off to rock my Melody to sleep before I fall off my rocker for lack of sleep.

1 comment:

Tamra said...

My first two kids were great sleepers, next two, not sure what I did different, but I find myself up with the 2 year old and sometimes the 4 year old more often than with the newborn.

What a nice tribute to the waitress who touched your life.